Thursday, October 11, 2007

GIRL 23 ~ ZOO GIRL

GIRL 23

ZOO GIRL



She had a huge mane of streaked blonde hair and a voice smooth enough for phone sex. In our correspondence, she’d seemed to want me more than I wanted her. I named her for her menagerie of pets, which included a loud bird that cawed in the background, making it hard to hear when she called from her house.

She came to the Snake Ranch before we went out. She sat on the couch and I poured her a drink. She was cute, but there was something wrong with her energy. Call it her aura. There was a dark stain or a bruise on her psyche.

On impulse, I asked her what her opinion on children was. She was 38, and I’d figured her too old to want any kids, and as yet she didn’t have any.

"Oh, I want a family," she said, her eyes glazing over the way a woman’s would when she was in the grip of the biological clock. "At least two kids, maybe three."



A little late, aren’t you, I wondered to myself. I took both her hands in mine and said, "Zoo Girl, listen, I’m done having kids, and you’re obviously wasting time with me if you want children. You’d better get busy."

She gave me a strange look, put down her drink, and walked out of the Snake Ranch. She left the door open.

I finished my drink, then got up and shut the door. On second thought, I returned to it and latched the deadbolt.

No comments: